Friday, February 2, 2007

Why RDI?


[disclaimer: this is what works for my son, if something else works for yours great!]
After a year and a half of ABA, I looked at my son, at his progress, at the parade of people coming in and out of my house, and said something has GOT to change. After a year and a half of everyone telling me what my son needed, I decided I would be the judge of that. In Feb. of last year we started this journey. After my main in home ABA therapist went to work at Cotton's school, I decided to take a break. That is when I started researching RDI. I looooved the idea of less. I love the idea that I could parent my child again. I was so excited to enter a world, where there were no prompts, and the interactions were real and spontaneous. I could not imagine a world 6 months ago, where my son would voluntarily look at me, much less crane his head around to see our reaction. RDI is about teaching your child how to be participant in a relationships. The very fabric of what it is to lead a fulfilling life. He is growing everyday, and so am I.

No comments: