Tuesday, May 29, 2007

SHHH!



In an attempt to stop vocal stims, I have decided to turn off the TV, radio, and all other electronic devices during the day. How can I expect Cotton to stop humming if he hears jingles and kids songs every waking hour. It was like coming off crack today. I hear the signing time lady singing "baby signing time, baby signing time." in my head, and realize how much noise we hear all day.

The kids usually watch videos, when I am in the shower, and when I am making dinner. Yesterday, I had the kids play with pots and pans while I cooked. Mr. Chief had a lot of fun, Cotton was not as impressed. I will have to get more creative.

Cotton is doing some new things spontaneously recently. He started using a fork, and taking bites of his food. Both of these activities have been difficult for him, and I am grateful he was able to pick this up. While we have worked on this it has not been a focus, I am excited that he has learned something without hours and hours of practice. This may be a first for him.

1 comment:

mjsuperfan said...

Wow, you are a strong woman. We have limited video time, but I know I would miss it if it were completely gone. It gives me a moment of sanity.

On the other hand, I often turn off music because the twins look like they are in a trance state while it's going. It seems a shame, but it keeps them from playing, or even moving around.

I will do a touchdown dance when I see one of my guys use a fork. Congratulations!